Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Donald Bones Donald Bones is offline

Default What I learned about smoking brisket over the last year

Okay, so I've done about 1, sometimes 2 briskets a month for about the
last year or so (I really love brisket). To shorten the story, I've
mopped, flipped, turned, sprayed with apple juice, and just about
everything else you could think of. End the end, what kept them moist
and tender was for me to leave them alone. After a rub the day before,
they'd smoke for 8 or so hrs, then I'd wrap them in foil for a few more
hours. Then towel 'em up in the cooler overnight, and in the morning
there was a nice pool of juice, and they were falling-apart tender. No
mopping, no injecting, no nothin'. A few times, they reached 205
degrees, but didn't dry out at all.
Now, to compensate, I did leave a little more of the cap on top, but my
only consequence was not much of a ring on the top. But the taste and
amount of moisture was a more than fair trade. I guess if you're going
to contest, though, that's a no-go.
Curious to know what you all think, and how you do what you do with your
briskets.

db