Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Coffee... Was: Dinner...

wrote on Sat, 13 Jun 2009 11:37:11 -0500:

>> Steve Pope wrote:
>>
>>> If I'm forced to use a French press, I let the coffee steep
>>> for four minutes, using water that is maybe 190 degrees F.
>>>
>>> However filter coffee gives better results.

>> I tend to agree, but drip coffee is better if made by the
>> pot. It is difficult to make just a cup or two of good coffee
>> in a drip machine. That is why I use a press for just a cup
>> or two. I can make a pretty good cup of coffee with my press,
>> but I can't make a single cup in it.

> I've been trying to get the wife to learn how to make good
> coffee but she refuses, seems it's my department. For most
> mornings I use my Timmy's 3 min. machine, fine ground Kona or
> a Starbucks french roast.

An automatic drip pot, like those from the inventor Mr. Coffee, is fast
and, if started up before eating dinner, will be ready by the end of the
meal when you want it. I did try a coffee press but I prefer the drip
method better. The French cup-top filter isn't bad if you like lukewarm
Café Filtré.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland