Kent H.

Default Direct grilling on a gas grill - question

If you really want "char-rare" with a crispy outside and a blood rare
inside, as with a New York or a filet you have to cook with the lid up.
Most gas grills aren't hot enough to do this, so you have to close the
lid and cook the interior of the steak more than you would want to. When
the need for char-rare arises I cook over charcoal on the 22" Weber with
the coals .5" below the grate. The gas grill sits dormant.
For all other lower temp cooking with gas, cover down is almost always
the preferred method.
Good grilling
Kent