Posted to rec.food.cooking
Puester[_2_] Puester[_2_] is offline

Default Need help muy pronto: Using arrowroot instead of flour or cornstarchthickener in a rhubarb pie

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> How do I swap out the flour with arrowroot instead?
>
> If you're inclined to email me, put a dot between my firstandlastnames
> to bypass Earthlink's spam filter‹it'll speed things up.
>
> Gloria's pie sounded good and I've got rhubarb to be picked.
>
> Pie crust is ready to be divided and chilled. I'll be researching
> other sources, too.

I googled "arrowroot substitution" and got Cook's
Thesaurus's version:

arrowroot starch = arrowroot powder = arrowroot =
arrowroot flour This starch thickener has several
advantages over cornstarch. It has a more neutral flavor,
so it's a good thickener for delicately flavored sauces. It
also works at a lower temperature, and tolerates acidic
ingredients and prolonged cooking better. And while sauces
thickened with cornstarch turn into a spongy mess if they're
frozen, those made with arrowroot can be frozen and thawed
with impunity. The downside is that arrowroot is pricier
than cornstarch, and it's not a good thickener for
dairy-based sauces, since it turns them slimy.
Arrowroot also imparts a shiny gloss to foods, and while it
can make a dessert sauce glow spectacularly, it can make a
meat sauce look eerie and fake. To thicken with arrowroot,
mix it with an equal amount of cold water, then whisk the
slurry into a hot liquid for about 30 seconds. Look for it
in Asian markets and health food stores. Equivalents: One
tablespoon thickens one cup of liquid. Substitutes:
tapioca starch (very similar) OR Instant ClearJel® OR
cornstarch (Cornstarch doesn't impart as glossy a finish and
can leave a starchy taste if undercooked.) OR kudzu powder
OR potato starch OR rice starch OR flour (Flour makes an
opaque sauce, imparts a floury taste, and can easily turn
lumpy. Use twice as much flour as arrowroot.)
gp