Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Hans Fugal[_3_] Hans Fugal[_3_] is offline

Default Balance Out Time

hutchndi wrote:
> Hello everybody. I was wondering if anybody might have an idea of how
> many refreshments might be best to get a good balance of yeasts to
> lactobacilli, after reconstituting dried and frozen starter flakes.
> I ask because I am not presently in the habit of keeping an ongoing
> (active) culture, because of my wife's gluten restrictions I make bread
> much less frequently than I used to. I have been reduced to baking my
> bread in spurts every couple months, and so I get a batch going as
> needed. Afterwards, I spread some starter out and let dry on wax paper,
> break it up and freeze it until next time. I might only bake bread once
> or twice before "freeze drying" my culture. It gets good and bubbly
> active after only one refreshment, but I doubt if the balance is optimum.
>
> hutchndi

Why not keep it in the fridge and do a room-temp cycle once or twice a
month? Take it out one day before bed, feed it, then feed it in the
morning and back in the fridge. Seems like less hassle than freezing and
reconstituting and should be healthier for the start.