Tyler Hopper

Default Ceramic ooker question?

"Randy" > wrote in message
> I've been Q'n on a WSM for about 2 years and have been happy with it.
> My question is am I missing anything by not having a ceramic cooker? Is
> that a "next level" in outdoor cooking and what are the benefits over
> the WSM? Thanks -RP

I made exactly that move about 5 yrs. ago and have been very happy I did. Don't
get me wrong. The WSM is a very fine unit for the price. I think it kinda sucks
for grilling but that's not what I bought it for.

Ceramics in general have a very big advantage when it comes to heat control. I
can eyeball the dampers on my K and get within a few degrees of the target every
time and it stays there.

Before somebody yelps about heat control in a WSM, please don't. I know it works
very well because I own one. It simply isn't as precise and you have to screw
around with thermometers because they don't come with one.

I really think the ceramics have a big advantage in inclement weather; i.e. cold
and/or wind. The biggest disadvantage of a ceramic is it's capacity. Even a #9 K
won't hold enough for a big crowd, but you're dealing with the same thing with
the WSM.

I never really tried to get the WSM very hot but you can run a ceramic up way
higher than you'd want to cook anything on. I don't know if you can get high
temps on the WSM.

All that said, I'd do it again at the drop of a hat. I love the WSM but have
used it only once or twice since I got the K and that was because I was cooking
_a lot_ of meat.

_________
ht_redneck