zxcvbob

Default Enchilada Sauce?

Jack Schidt® wrote:

> "Richard's ~JA~" > wrote in message
>
>>I do not at all care for the too strong flavoring of just a canned
>>enchilada sauce, so I have watered these down with beef or chicken broth
>>in the past. What I am hoping for is a milder flavor, darkness with
>>depth, and merely a hint of sweetness. Would this recipe suffice, or
>>how may it be improved?
>>
>>ENCHILADA SAUCE
>>2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
>>2 Tbsp. flour
>>1/4 cup red chile powder, mild

> Use ground Chimayo or Ancho, or both here. They're both mild and the flavor
> improvement would be worth it. If you aren't in a hurry, grab some dried
> ancho chiles, remove stems and seeds and rehydrate them, and then puree
> them. Well worth the extra effort.
>

>>2 cups beef broth, fresh or canned
>>2 cups tomato puree, canned

> Try skipping the tomato, unless you're really married to including it; make
> up the volume in stock/broth. Chicken stock works well for this too.
>

>>1/2 tsp. oregano, dried
>>1/4 tsp. cumin

> I think you'll find cumin to be a variable for you. If you use it, I'd
> recommend toasting whole seeds in a dry skillet and then grind them to
> powder with a mortar and pestle.
>

>>1/2 tsp. granulated garlic

> Fresh minced is way better, but granulated will do.
>

>>1 tsp. salt (to taste)
>>Heat oil in large saucepan; add flour to make a roux. Stir and cook
>>over medium heat for 2 minutes until browned. Add the rest to the roux;
>>simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.

> 15 min may be a bit short of a time for the sauce to simmmer, but may work
> with a small batch, just so long as it's not watery.
>
> Jack Sauced

I would use a handful of whole dried New Mexico chiles, and 1 or 2 ancho.
Rehydrate them, and liquify (with the soaking water) in a blender.
Meanwhile, make a medium roux using lard and flour. Add the chile paste to
the roux, and a chicken bouillon cube or two (some Mexican chicken 'n'
tomato bouillon cubes might be nice.) Adjust seasoning with garlic powder,
black pepper, and oregano. Simmer for a while. Add more water or stock if
it's too thick.

I seldom use cumin in anything that has ancho chile. I think large amounts
of cumin in Mexican recipes is often a failed attempt to get that ancho
aroma and taste. I use a *little* bit of cumin sometimes if I make chili
using only NuMex chiles.

Bob