Posted to rec.food.sourdough
hutchndi hutchndi is offline

Default Balance Out Time

Hello everybody. I was wondering if anybody might have an idea of how many
refreshments might be best to get a good balance of yeasts to lactobacilli,
after reconstituting dried and frozen starter flakes.
I ask because I am not presently in the habit of keeping an ongoing
(active) culture, because of my wife's gluten restrictions I make bread much
less frequently than I used to. I have been reduced to baking my bread in
spurts every couple months, and so I get a batch going as needed.
Afterwards, I spread some starter out and let dry on wax paper, break it up
and freeze it until next time. I might only bake bread once or twice before
"freeze drying" my culture. It gets good and bubbly active after only one
refreshment, but I doubt if the balance is optimum.

hutchndi