Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Brick[_3_] Brick[_3_] is offline

Default Pork prices up, size down

On 31-May-2009, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> > . I
> > never even considered pricing meat "per package"
> >

> But I do stop and think before buying a $100 rib eye package

It does kind of rock you back on your heels when you look at it
like that. I haven't bought a whole rib roast yet, but I have bought
whole NY Strips a few times. They're about half the price of
rib roasts. I bought a bag of beef tenderloins awhile back. That
was pretty cheap in untrimmed state. I think it was about five
bucks a pound. We're still working on that bunch. It was three
whole tenderloins. I can't remember what grade it was, but my
butcher seldom if ever puts out anything under 'Choice'. It
doesn't look like Prime to me.

Speaking of bulk meat purchases. I just received a supply of
FoodSaver 8 X 11.5" bags. $0.26/bag delivered. (Case Qty).
I had to drag my FoodSaver out of storage. My snorkel
machine went tits up temporarily. One of the cover latches
broke. There's no doubt that the FoodSaver bag is superior
to the snorkel bags I buy, but at 2-1/2 times the price, they
should be.
--
Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)