Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Brick[_3_] Brick[_3_] is offline

Default Pork prices up, size down

On 31-May-2009, Grant Erwin > wrote:

> Brick wrote:
> > On 30-May-2009, Eddie > wrote:

> >> Looks like the H1N1 flu aka the swine flu, did not drop prices as
> >> anticipated. The print media, and TV/radio kept using "swine" instead
> >> of the correct name. I thought to myself, good these ignorant
> >> reporters keep harping the "swine flu" all over the news. Maybe, I
> >> thought, the pork prices will come down. Well, they didn't.
> >> Whot hoppon??
> >> Guess the people were not as stupid as the media.
> >> And yes, I noticed the same thing you did.
> >> But once in a while, the ethnic markets will have butt for .99
> >> cents/lb. But you gotta check every week.
> >> Eddie

> > What Eddie said. But, watch out for those ethnic markets also.
> > Don't assume anything. Check carefully everytime. And yes,
> > check back often. Watch for those "loss leaders".
> >

> One thing Seattle has in spades is ethnic markets. I see cheap flank
> steak,
> cheap pork shoulder etc. but I've always been told that these are
> strictly grade
> B meats, not prime, not choice, not grade A. So be careful.
>
> seattlepitboss

There's no law that says you can't judge the meat for yourself.
If your butcher is providing you with acceptable product, you
shouldn't care how it's graded. Regardless of the market,
America is quite ademant about the labelling of meat. It may
be not be labelled 'Select', 'Choice' or 'Prime' unless it has been
graded as such by the USDA. Meat has already been graded
when your butcher gets it. He doesn't get to make it up as he
goes.

It's kind of like airplanes. You can work on you own plane all
you want to, but you can't fly it until the FAA inspector certifies
it for flight.
--
Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)