Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Grant Erwin[_3_] Grant Erwin[_3_] is offline

Default Pork prices up, size down

Brick wrote:
> On 30-May-2009, Eddie > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 30 May 2009 16:26:01 -0700 (PDT), Tutall >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Last few years the butts locally were in twenty pound packs with two
>>> chunks of 10lbs each packed together usually about $1/lb. @ $20 per
>>> package.
>>>
>>> This year went to two stores (Costco and Smart and Final ) and both
>>> places had different brands, but both places the average package was
>>> 13lbs, not 20, and going for $1.50/lb. So total price was still about
>>> $20 per package.
>>>
>>> Same damn trick they're doing with propane.

>> Looks like the H1N1 flu aka the swine flu, did not drop prices as
>> anticipated. The print media, and TV/radio kept using "swine" instead
>> of the correct name. I thought to myself, good these ignorant
>> reporters keep harping the "swine flu" all over the news. Maybe, I
>> thought, the pork prices will come down. Well, they didn't.
>> Whot hoppon??
>> Guess the people were not as stupid as the media.
>> And yes, I noticed the same thing you did.
>> But once in a while, the ethnic markets will have butt for .99
>> cents/lb. But you gotta check every week.
>> Eddie

> What Eddie said. But, watch out for those ethnic markets also.
> Don't assume anything. Check carefully everytime. And yes,
> check back often. Watch for those "loss leaders".

One thing Seattle has in spades is ethnic markets. I see cheap flank steak,
cheap pork shoulder etc. but I've always been told that these are strictly grade
B meats, not prime, not choice, not grade A. So be careful.

seattlepitboss