Posted to alt.food.wine
Bi!! Bi!! is offline

Default WSJ on the WA ethics debate

On May 27, 8:27�am, DaleW > wrote:
> On May 26, 10:00�pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
>

> > santiago wrote:
> > > What a tough subject. To be frank, I dislike the behavior of Miller and
> > > Squires. I have always had a good perception of Robert Parker, even if I
> > > did not agree with all his tasting notes or his ratings. I thought he
> > > actually was a consumer's advocate.

> > That has always been the take on Arpee: you may or may not agree with
> > his judgments, you may or may not like his personal character (those who
> > know anything of it) but all basically agree that he is (was?)
> > scrupulously careful about avoiding conflicts of interest in his
> > reviewing. �It has also been pointed out, though, that in recent years
> > he's showered lavish praise on certain personalities who also routinely
> > garner high points in TWA, casting into question perhaps his untainted
> > character.

> > > But then I think he made a mistake in his expansion plans. If he was the
> > > leading critic for Bordeaux, the Rhone and California, so be it. But I do
> > > not see the need to relax the reputation of the publication trying to cover
> > > new wine areas. Reputation, and not a palate, is the main asset of a wine
> > > critic.

> > I agree completely.

> > > World is very interesting reading Parker for Bordeaux (I do not really care
> > > for California for lack of availability, nor the Rhone for the style),
> > > Allen Meadows for Burgundy (though he is quite predictable) and I would pay
> > > for a publication by David Schildknecht about Germany, Champagne and Loire.
> > > In fact, my bet is that David will leave TWA to start his own bulletin some
> > > day.

> > You may well be right: David's coverage in TWA has apparently descreased
> > since his early days, leading one to question how much he wishes to
> > remain there.

> > > The critics of Spanish wines are so American that they do not make much
> > > sense. Guess the value that would have for the American market, a Spanish
> > > critic judging California wines by the stilistic standard of Australian
> > > Spoofulated Fruit Bombs.

> > Dr. Miller's critiques have certainly raised more than a few eyebrows.
> > Who are your favorite critics of Spanish wines, Santiago?

> > Mark Lipton
> > (6 days and counting until Barcelona)

> > --
> > alt.food.wine FAQ: �http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

> While I didn't also agree with Parker, I used to have the utmost
> respect for him. �I thought him opinionated but rather idealistic, and
> full of integrity. But I must say my opinion has shifted in the last
> few years, mostly because of his own posts on the Squires board.
> Hubris, petty, egotistical, and mean-spirited are the terms that seem
> to �spring to my �mind when reading his posts.
>
> I think it is ridiculous that he states �that it is "imperative" to
> not take travel or lodging, and then say it's ok for the "independent
> contractors."

> [...]

I've got to agree with you Dale. I've been following this controversy
on a few forums and I don't think one can be objective while
recieveing money/trips/meals/etc. I think that the reviewers in
question should disqualify themselves and resign since I personally
would never trust their reviews as being unbiased or honest.