Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Nick Cramer Nick Cramer is offline

Default (bbq) Easy to make sauce suggestions please

"Brick" > wrote:
> On 24-May-2009, Nick Cramer > wrote:

[ . . . ]
> > It's like specifying "curry" without providing the recipe for the
> > particular curry mix."
> >
> > Speaking of which, I had a late night potluck snack at a party at the
> > Sri Lankan Buddhist temple, earlier tonight.[]

> I wish I could have shared that with you Nick. I don't get much curry
> exposure around here. I guess I'll have to visit the Indian mini buffet
> at the Indian grocery this week and get a fix. But Indian is all there
> is that I know about. I haven't been able to try all of the Thai
> restaurants.
> Most are several miles away and it's difficult for me to make the time
> away from the house.

Brick, Sri Lankan food is nothing like Thai or Indian. The best way to get
real Thai or Lankan food is to show up at one of their Buddhist temples
(Wat, Vihara or Pana Sala) around 11:30 Sunday morning. After the monks
have eaten, the people eat. They'll be happy to see a skinny old gringo and
you'll eat good!

Buddhist Tutorial: Thai monks are called "pra", from Pali "praya", which
means "highest". Sri Lankan monks are called "Bhante", which in Pali means
"person"! Bhikkhu is the Pali word meaning "beggar". "Bhikkhu Bhante" is
good, too! In converstion with him, I will often call my friend, Bhante
Sirinawasa, "Bhikkhu Bhante". I can tell that that pleases him.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061