Posted to alt.food.barbecue
sqwertz sqwertz is offline

Default (bbq) Bone-in Brisket

On Sat, 23 May 2009 10:48:21 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

> Not wanting to shoot my mouth off, I was glad I didn't. According to
> this, you actually could get a proper brisket meat with some bone(s)
> in it.
>
> "According to the USDA Institutional Meat Purchasing Standard (IMPS),
> a beef brisket as it's cut from a side of beef "includes the anterior
> end of the sternum bones, the deep pectoral, and the supraspinatus
> muscle. Evidence of the cartilaginous juncture of the 1st rib and the
> sternum and the cross section of 4 rib bones shall be present."
>
> BUT... it also goes on to say that this particular configuration of a
> brisket is NOT a supermarket brisket.

The IMPS does not say that

As for the availability of this cut, the store selling it has all
sorts of cuts you'd never find anywhere else in town. Need some
bull testicles? How about a while, skinned goat head (with eyes)?
And what they don't have, MT Supe5r will ;-) (like pizzle).

-sw