Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default (bbq) Easy to make sauce suggestions please

Brick wrote:
> On 23-May-2009, Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
>> Bob-tx wrote:
>>> I am looking for an easy to make (less than about ten ingrediants)
>>> barbecue sauce that goes good with pulled pork.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> Thanks, Bob-tx
>>>

>> Here is the recipe I use. It's very easy and you can substitute whatever
>> spices you like best. You might prefer a zingier sauce and want to add
>> hotter pepper, like cayenne or other ground hot pepper.
>>
>> The recipe is very tolerant for spice changes.
>>
>> I use Splenda for sweetening because DH is Diabetic. Even if you
>> substitute brown sugar, white sugar, honey, molasses or leave out the
>> sweetener all together, it's a lot healthies than those store-bought
>> bottles of red -colored high-fructose corn syrup, IMHO.
>>
>> BBQ Sauce
>>
>> Recipe By :Janet Wilder
>> Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
>> Categories : Sauces, Dressings & Gravies
>>
>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 1 teaspoon cumin seeds -- toasted
>> 1 can tomato paste (6 oz.)
>> 1 1/4 cups water
>> 1/4 cup cider vinegar -- add an extra teaspoon if you
>> want
>> 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
>> 2 teaspoons dry mustard
>> 1 teaspoon dried onion
>> 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
>> 1/2 teaspoon ancho chili powder
>> 2 teaspoons chili powder
>> 1/4 teaspoon New Mexico red chili powder
>> 2 tablespoons Splenda Granular
>>
>> After toasting the cumin seeds in a dry skillet, grind them in a mortar
>> and pestle. Sift through a mesh strainer to remove the chaff.
>>
>> With a small, wire whisk, mix all ingredients in a pot and simmer for 15
>> minutes until the flavors are blended.
>>
>> --
>> Janet Wilder

> I am familiar with Ancho and New Mexico Red, but what pray tell
> are you referring to with "2 teaspoons chili powder".

Just run-of-the-mill supermarket chili powder. I use the Bolner's Fiesta
brand "fancy light" chili powder. It has chili pepper, Comino, Silicon
Dioxide, oregano and garlic.

I'm sorry, I thought most people would know what "chili powder" was if
the type was not specified, like I specified the NM red and the ancho.

I apologize for misleading anyone.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas