Posted to rec.food.cooking
blake murphy[_2_] blake murphy[_2_] is offline

Default What happened to Rec.Food.Reipes?

On Sun, 17 May 2009 08:16:34 -0700, Mack A. Damia wrote:

> On Mon, 18 May 2009 08:22:42 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>> Mack A. Damia > wrote:
>>(snip)
>>> Mere lists of ingredients and steps to prepare a dish obviously cannot
>>> be copyrighted. Don't copy the recipe word-for-word and you'll be
>>> safe.
>>>
>>> Wordy recipes annoy me anyway!
>>> --
>>> mad

>>If by "wordy" you mean explicitly worded, with all steps thoroughly
>>described, IMNSHO that has to be because fewer and fewer young people
>>are being taught basic cooking information and need detailed
>>information. If that is not what you mean, what do you mean? :-)

> Basically, poorly written explanations (anything, really,including
> recipes and instructions).
>
> For example, may websites are designed and written by "techies" and
> not English majors; consequently, as you know - many of them can be
> downright confusing and frustrating to navigate.
>
> This has been a citicism for as long as I can remember. Same thing
> with recipes. Mainly food people write them and not "writers".
>
> Not all the time, of course, but I encounter confusing instructions,
> etc. failry often. Part of the "dumbing" down of society.

i wouldn't say it's the 'dumbing down of society.' writing clear, concise
directions for anything is a difficult thing to do, and that skill is not
very highly paid, whatever the subject.

try writing directions for anything that you do without having to think
about it much. the odds are great you will leave out something, or write
something with a great deal of ambiguity.

your pal,
blake