Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Nonnymus[_12_] Nonnymus[_12_] is offline

Default Jake's "Smokehouse" in Virginia Beach, VA

Nunya Bidnits wrote:

> Amen. Processed in a machine that spits a little smoke from burnt sawdust,
> cryo'd, frozen, warehoused forever, thawed and heated at a restaurant while
> being boiled in sickly sweet goo isn't barbecue. Good for you for not
> letting your kid grow up deprived.

Marty, long ago, Mrs. Nonny and I lived in a city that was dominated by
a large meat processing company. The company was family owned, third
generation, in fact. Besides box beef and pork, they produced bologna,
sausages, hot dogs and many smoked meats. The third generation son of
the founder ran the company and later became a stockholder in my own
company. I got to know him to the point where our families would go
sailing together. Several things I learned from him:

He and his kids all grew up on the family product. It was as good and
pure as they could make it.
He was proud of how they worked, did engineering and maintained a large
testing and tasting division for their smoked products.
He would privately acknowledge that nothing was better than home smoked
meat and was a KC and Memphis dry rib fan.
His company's cryovac ribs were sold in many stores and commercially and
might be like the ones mentioned in this thread. However, what they
produced was the result of one heck of a lot of work, research and
particularly taste tests both in house and at events.
They also sold a cryovac ribeye roast that was very close to one done in
the restaurant.

My reaction is like his: sure, they're not as good as something you'd
get at Ocey Bruner's back when Ocey was alive and the ribs weren't like
Rudy's or Red Hot and Blue, but they were as good as he could make them,
used good pork ribs and were the result of a lot of good effort.

--
Nonny
If you think health care is expensive now,

- P.J. O'Rourke