Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Question about a croissant recipe

blake wrote on Sun, 17 May 2009 16:01:02 GMT:

>> This recipe comes from Paula Peck's book, "The Art of Fine
>> Baking." It's like many other croissant recipes except you
>> don't let the dough rise at all. I'm wondering why you would
>> need to use yeast in the recipe if you're not going to allow
>> the dough to proof. The recipe even says the dough shouldn't
>> rise until you put it in the oven. Yeast cells die at around
>> 140° F. At a baking temperature of 475° F the yeast is going
>> to be killed within minutes. So what's the point in using
>> it? The recipe sounds more like puff pastry than croissants.
>>

> i'm not a baker, but doesn't yeast have a taste of its own?

I don't bake tho' my wife used to be enthusiastic about it. Her recipe
books were written by James Beard. Concerning croissants (going by
memory from a book examined in a bookstore), one of the best selling
bread books lists croissants as a sour-dough recipe. The book is "Breads
from the La Brea Bakery{" by Nancy Silverton (not a known relative!)

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland