Joachim S Joachim S is offline
Member

Smile

I just came across this post as I was looking for a recipe for carne salata.
I usually order this dish at a restaurant in Valpolicella and my best guess is that vergelatta has nothing to do with the marbelling of the meat
Typically we are talking about a pretty lean piece of beef that has been cured (salata) not necessarily like salted pork but more like beef cured in a similar fashion to gravelox. I am pretty sure it is typical for the lakes region of northern Italy. Not unlike carpaccio, but sliced slightly thicker it is serverd as an appetizer at room temperture and sometimes dressed with some EVOO.
From my experience with Italian food in Italy as well as my somewhat deterioriating fluency in the Italian language I bet you that vergellata pertains to the slicing of the meat (made to look like paper).
Would be interested in hearing back from somebody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bibliographer View Post
I have an old Italian recipe which calls for "carne salata
vergellata." I am fairly certain that the "carne salata" is "salted
meat," but probably not bacon. Can someone tell me about the "vergellata"?
Thank you very much for your time.

--
Regards, Frank Young
703-527-7684