\Piedmont\

Default smoker novice - looking for help and/or advice

SS2 wrote:
snip
> I'd like to smoke (honeysmoke) salmon plus I have a small 10 lb
> turkey that I'd like to smoke.
>
> could someone possible tell me where to learn how to do this? I know
> this is a bbq site but does that include smokers?

snip

To SS2,
Chances are some of the "smoked" foods you ate in the past, (assuming they
were store bought) were "cold" smoked. There is cold and there is hot
smoking. Cold smoking (IMHO) will taste different from hot smoking. Cold
smoking occurs over a numbers of days, verses hours for hot smoking. Also,
cold smoked is "preserved" or brined in order to retard spoilage and that
alters the flavor also. All that being said, cold smoking requires a special
set up whereas they temperature of the "smoke" is greatly reduced via
"sometimes" distance from the actual meat. Hot smoking is done with the
cookers you are probably thinging about, generally the stuff you buy locally
unless you have one of the electric smokers "Lil Chief for example" that
folks use to make cold smoked meats. You can increase the smoke flavor
during hot smoking if you can keep as low a temperature as your skills allow
and set up you heat source to have a constant stream of wood smoke, hence,
the longer the meat is in the smoke, the more smoky , or as you'll find out,
the more "ham" flavor you'll get.

IMHO

--
"Piedmont", from Northern, South Carolina!

IN REVERSE: MOC DOT OOHAY AT 4201LIWMA