Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default 1995 Monsanto Il Poggio Riserva

On May 4, 4:07*pm, "Nils Gustaf Lindgren"
> wrote:
> Regardless of the quality of Monsanto, poggio is a name found all over Italy
> in various combinations. I doubt that it has the same "cru" status as, for
> instance, Chambertin, or, for that matter, Cannubi (to keep on the right
> side of the border).
>
> Cheers
>
> Nils

Well, lots of famous vineyards don't have official status- I don't
think Clos Ste Hune, Martha's Vineyard, etc do. I don't think Austrian
(Singerriedel) vineyards have any official classification. Many
others. But I do think that Monsanto's "Il Poggio" is a single
monopole vineyard, and have never seen that on another Chianti label.
But you're right Poggio is common, one of the reasons I have trouble
remembering Brunellos.