Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_5_] dsi1[_5_] is offline

Default this group needs someone like me!

Nancy Young wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> The second most import number system in use today? Binary.
>>> LSB first.

>> It could be that binary is the most important number system since it
>> makes computers possible. Humans can work with all types of numbering
>> systems - microprocessors cannot. Base 10 is mostly something we
>> choose arbitrarily.

> Well, it's such a nice round number!
>
> nancy

I have to admit that I like it too. That's because we grew up with this
system. But let's be honest, do we really need all those digits? I'm
thinking a base 5 system would be more practical. All we'd need is 1 to
4 plus zero. This would allow a numeric key pad to fit on most laptops
and make small cell phones easier to dial. While we're at it lets cut
that alphabet down to 13 or so letters - it works fine for us Hawaiians. :-)