Ricky

Default How long can I leave a dry rub on?

"Henry D" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 16:59:08 -0400, "Ricky" >
> wrote:
>

> >"Henry D" > wrote >
> >> Would adding rub to the meat, sealing it with a foodsaver, and then
> >> freezing it for a future cook (for a few weeks maybe) cause any
> >> problems?

> >No. But as soon as the meat begins to freeze it will stop taking on any
> >flavor.
> >

> How about during the thawing process? Does the meat begin to reabsorb
> the flavor as it thaws?

Not enough to make a difference. The dead cells of a piece of meat will only
absorb a small amount of flavor from a dry or wet rub. I've tried this
experiment dozens of times. Take 6 racks of ribs. Put your dry rub on 2
racks 24 hours before you are going to cook them. Do 2 more racks at 12
hours and the last 2 racks 1 hour before they go in the cooker. Make sure
you mark the racks so you'll know which is which. Get 12 friends and family
to taste the finish product and see if anyone can tell which are which.