Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Dominic T. Dominic T. is offline

Default Botswana Bush tea

On Apr 29, 12:01*pm, Natarajan Krishnaswami
> wrote:
> On 2009-04-28, Dominic T. > wrote:
>
> > The flavor is interesting, you have to not think of it as "tea" proper
> > and just drink it for what it is. There is no nuance or depth to speak
> > of. I have some really good green Yerba Mate that is lemony and woody
> > and I find more interesting than Rooibos.

> I find the liquor straightforward and pleasant, a little sweet; but
> the aroma is incredible: tobacco, vanilla, sweet wood. *If you haven't
> found that in your cup, perhaps the teabags are stale, rather than
> rooibos just not being to your taste (not that there's anything wrong
> with that *grin*)
>
> It tastes more like tea if you add a splash of milk. *E.g., I think it
> works quite well in a caffeine free facsimile of masala chai.
>
> N.

No, I'm in agreement with you I get those notes and maybe even a hint
of citrus/acid as well, I just think - as you said better - it is just
"straightforward." Different brewing technique, different vessel, etc.
doesn't really change much if anything. It is what it is, and that's
not a bad thing necessarily just that it isn't heavily nuanced. I
never thought of it in terms of a chai, that actually sounds very
good... I'll try that. I'd bet just rooibos, sugar, and milk would be
good as well as adding some actual chai spices and the sugar/milk.

I didn't mean to sound so dismissive of it, it just isn't all that
interesting to me. If I had to restrict my caffeine for some reason it
would be near the top of my list as an alternative, I was including it
with actual tea when I said it lacked nuance and depth. Compared to
many great teas it is low on my list, as a tisane/tea alternative it
sure beats some acrid/sour hibiscus blends.

- Dominic