Posted to rec.food.cooking
Phred Phred is offline

Default cane vs. beet sugar

In article >, "James Silverton" <not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not> wrote:
> Phred wrote on Sun, 26 Apr 2009 10:39:10 GMT:
>
>> Unfortunately, in my ignorance I had succumbed to the
>> _National Geographic_ colour tradition and was using
>> Ektachrome slide film during my trip to the US and other
>> places over that way, and my slides from that time are pretty
>> much stuffed now. (Unlike my Kodachromes which are still
>> pretty good from even 45 years ago -- and, fortunately, I
>> switched back to KR135-36P once back home from that trip. :-)

>It's perhaps OT Phred but let me encourage you to try restoring some of
>the colors with Photoshop, either one of the full versions or Elements.
>So long as the red (most often), blue or green is not completely
>bleached out, I've had a good deal of luck with pictures from the late
>50s.

Thanks for that tip, James. I'll have to give it a go once I get a
new PC that can run a decent version of Elements. However, to
continue the OT -- what sort of gear did you use to scan the slides
so you could play with them? I suspect you need something like a
3000x2000 scan to get a good reproduction from a slide?

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID