Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Kenneth Kenneth is offline

Default How long does starter last? ? ?

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 14:08:35 GMT, "Ray"
> wrote:

>An old question that needs to be re-answered ever so often:
>
>I have kept a starter in the refrigerator, unused and unfed, for three
>months or more. It has a half-inch of liquid on top.
>
>The question is, how long can starter last before it's completely dead or
>completely changed?

Howdy,

I have found it oddly unpredictable...

A French starter that I have had for many years was always
happy in the refrigerator for 6-8 weeks.

Then, at some point, it decided to die after about a month.

In any case, I would tell you to try what you have now. If
it becomes active with a feeding or two, bake with it.

If the results are what you had hoped, you are back in
business.

If not, get back to us here and many of us would be happy to
send you a new start.

All the best,
--
Kenneth