Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default cane vs. beet sugar

Rhonda wrote on Sat, 25 Apr 2009 14:05:31 GMT:

>> [In fact, thinking more about this, I'm nearly sure you can
>> now buy a product labelled "raw sugar" in the major
>> supermarkets, which suggests retail-quality production lines
>> may be becoming more common.]

> Yes, you can buy raw sugar at the supermarket. I buy it
> occasionally as Rob likes it for his coffee.

This sugar called "brown", "turbinado" or "raw" has been available for
several years and seems to have less molasses (and possibly flavor) than
traditional brown sugar since it pours and does not tend to cake. I
sometimes like to use it in coffee or sprinkle it on the sliced banana I
have with cereal. It's also available in packets at places like
Starbucks.

Incidentally, perhaps I should mention again that traditional "brown
sugar" that has become caked or hard can be easily softened for cooking
purposes by nuking for a few seconds. This is a lot less messy than
hitting it with a mallet :-)

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland