Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove Julie Bove is offline

Default What do I do with a pastrami?

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> I think in those days they put pretty much anything on a sandwich because
>> of
>> food rationing and such. But the worse has got to be the sandwich loaf.
>> You take unsliced bread, cut the crust off, then slice it the long way
>> into
>> several thin slices. You then put the pieces back together with some
>> sort
>> of salad type sandwich stuff like tuna salad, egg salad, etc, or just
>> chopped veggies and butter or mayo in there. I think the bread might
>> also
>> have been buttered as well. The assembled loaf was then frosted with
>> tinted
>> cream cheese or in some cases something like Miracle Whip. I always
>> threatened to make that but never did.

> I have a collection of cookbooks from the 50s which have recipes and
> off-tint photographs of foods like that. I never cook out of them, but
> I find them amusing to keep around.
>
> I did love something my mother made when I was small which came from one
> of them, I think. It was a turkey, mushroom, rice ring with a creamy
> sauce on top. Wouldn't eat it today, but it brings back good memories.
>
> I roasted a small turkey tonight, and all week I'll be enjoying my many
> favorite ways to eat up leftover turkey. :-)

I collect old cookbooks. I do use some of the recipes in them. I have some
with the sauced rice ring but it has peas in the middle of it. I have never
personally made anything into a ring.

My one grandma collected copper molds and had them displayed all over her
kitchen. She also had the same kind of copper bottomed Revereware that I
do. She was constantly polishing the stuff. When I was younger, I thought
it needed to be polished. Then I realized there was no real point in doing
that. It cooked the same, polished or unpolished. And once you used it, it
went all ugly again.