Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Nick Cramer Nick Cramer is offline

Default What do I do with a pastrami?

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> Angela found this piece of meat in with the ham and turkey that stays it
> is pastrami. She wanted it. It is about an inch high and in length maybe
> the size of my hand. I assume it is already cooked. Can I just heat it
> and cut it in slices? The only pastrami I am familiar with is sliced for
> sandwiches. I did try to search but only came up with recipes for making
> it. Seems this stuff is already made.

Hi Julie,

Pastrami is made from beef brisket. First the brisket is salt water cured
up to three weeks to make corned beef. The corned beef is then rubbed with
herbs and spices and smoked for about one hour a pound, until 165 F
internal, to make pastrami, so yes, it's already cooked.

I've only had it in sandwiches. The Reuben is my favorite.

The Reuben sandwich is a grilled or toasted sandwich made with either
pastrami or corned beef, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese, and either Russian
dressing or Thousand Island dressing. It is typically made with rye bread

Reuben Sandwich - 4 servings

Ingredients

8 - slices dark rye bread
1/2 cup Russian or Thousand Island dressing
8 - ounces pastrami or corned beef
4 - ounces Sauerkraut, well drained
4 - ounces Swiss cheese (1 or 2 slices each sandwich)
4 - pats butter

Directions

1. Spread the dressing on each bread slice.
2. On one slice, place the corned beef, then the sauerkraut, and then the
cheese. 3. Place the second slice on the top with the dressing side down.
4. Butter the top of the sandwich and place buttered side down on a
preheated griddle. 5. Now butter the other side of the sandwich, which is
the top side. 6. Heat the sandwich until bread is golden brown.
7. Turn once and allow the other side to become golden brown.
8. Cut the sandwich in half and serve.

***********************************

Russian Dressing for Reuben Sandwiches

Servings: 4

1 Tbs carrots,grated
1 Tbs beets, grated
1 Tbs onions,grated
6 Tbs Mayonnaise

Instructions

This product is not stable and should be made fresh. If the product is to
be kept, it should be pasteurized 30 minutes at 160° F. This is supposed to
be the genuine Russian dressing. If the raw materials are to be kept any
time before being use, they should be covered with strong vinegar. Of
course, this vinegar must be removed by pressing or draining before using
the materials."

***********************************

Russian Dressing 2

Combine the following ingredients. Makes one-half cup

1/3 cup mayonnaise
1-1/2 Tbsp ketchup
1 Tbs onions,grated
1-1/2 tsp prepared horseradish
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
Salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

*******************
*******************

Super Hero Sandwich

4 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 stirato (long loaf of hero bread), unsliced
6 oz Thin sliced Pastrami
6 oz Thin sliced Smoked Turkey
6 oz Thin sliced Smoked Ham
1/4 head lettuce
1 medium tomato, sliced
4 slices Colby Cheese
4 slices Swiss Cheese
1 red onion, sliced
1/2 cup sliced pickles

Cut loaf of bread in half horizontally. Spread both halves with mayonnaise.
On bottom half, layer ingredients in following order: lettuce, tomato,
Colby cheese, Swiss cheese, onion, pastrami, ham, turkey and pickle. Top
with remaining half loaf and serve. Wrap leftovers in Press'n Seal wrap and
refrigerate until ready to eat. Serves 6.

You may be able to modify either of these, or Google on 'recipes using
pastrami' or 'recipes using corned beef'. HTH

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061