Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Brick[_3_] Brick[_3_] is offline

Default How do you barbecue Cornish game hens?

On 18-Apr-2009, Denny Wheeler > wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 15:11:08 +0000 (UTC),
> wrote:
>
> >In alt.food.barbecue, Denny Wheeler
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I'd grill 'em or smoke-roast (350 or higher); I don't consider that to
> >> be barbecuing, really. It sure ain't low and slow. But it does yield
> >> a tasty bird.

> >I agree. I also agree with the spatchcocking idea. That's how I used
> >do them, after soaking them in a lime/onion/chili marinade.

> Yeah, I should have tossed that in--after several attempts with
> yardbird, I've found that I strongly prefer either spatchcocked or
> just plain cut up. The latter has an advantage in terms of each piece
> being cooked just right. Not that I'd cut up game hens.
>
> >And if you instead cook them with high, smoky, indirect heat, it's
> >likely
> >that they will get nice crispy delicious skin. If you use a lot of
> >charcoal in a Weber Kettle, but dump it all on one side, you can cook
> >those birds at 400+ on the far side of the grill and they'll turn out
> >great.
> >
> >In fact, my nouth is watering and I'm wanting to go to the supermarket
> >get some Cornish Hens and cook them with salt, pepper, and some ancho
> >flakes on the skin, and maybe some garlic in the cavity.
> >Mmmmmmmmmm....that might be good with sugar maple chunks mixed in with
> >the
> >lump.

> Not a bad thought--but I don't think I'll be lighting any more lump
> (or propane) this weekend. Just about an hour ago, brought in a bunch
> of skewered, yakitori-marinated beef, along with some sausage. I'm
> good for the weekend, foodwise.
>
> --
> -denny-

I wish you guys would stop talking about cornish hens. We've been sick
for going on four days. We have grills, rotisseries, smokers and a pair
of cornish hens in the freezer, but no ability to partake of same. Maybe
next week. Sigh!! (I've got the shits and Nathalie has some kind of flu.
Nevermind that she had her flu shot.) We're eating yakisoba for lunch.
(Chili, celery, bok choy, cabbage and semolina angel hair pasta.)
--
Brick WA7ERO (Veggie drawer is a disaster area)