Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Ozgirl Ozgirl is offline

Default What do I do with a pastrami?

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>> Angela found this piece of meat in with the ham and turkey that
>>> stays it is pastrami. She wanted it. It is about an inch high and
>>> in length maybe the size of my hand. I assume it is already cooked.
>>> Can I just heat it and cut it in slices? The only pastrami I am
>>> familiar with is sliced for sandwiches. I did try to search but
>>> only came up with recipes for making it. Seems this stuff is
>>> already made. Thanks!

>> I buy pastrami from time to time. I use it for anything -
>> sandwiches, as the protein in salads. It is a nice addition to a
>> party platter, as is or rolled around asparagus spears or a pickle.
>> Also nice rolled around sun dried tomatoes and fetta. You could make
>> it into fritters with gluten free flour. Nice with tomato sauce
>> (ketchup) that way. Because it came in a piece you could heat it
>> slowly in the micro and have it with vegetables and a pepper sauce.

> I don't really know anything about pepper sauce or fritters. Must be
> something that's not common here. The only fritters I know about are
> sweet. Like apple or corn. But Angela does like ketchup.

Use the same batter as for sweet fritters but cut up pieces of meat and put
in the batter as opposed to coating individual pieces. Then cook in a pan
like you are cooking a pancake. So any basic fritter recipe would do minus
the sugar if any.

Any sauce or gravy over pastrami would be nice. A nice mustard sauce
perhaps. With garlic mash...