Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default How do you barbecue Cornish game hens?

Desideria wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 13:18:24 -0500, "Nunya Bidnits"
> > wrote:
>
>> In ,
>> Janet Wilder > typed:

>>> I don't know how you cook your beer can chicken, but mine is never
>>> mushy and the skin is always crispy. I made one on Tuesday on the gas
>>> grill with off-set heat and the lid closed. We had the leftovers in
>>> chicken enchiladas tonight.

>> What's in the beer can?

> Good question--in fact, I'd like to get a lot more advice and info
> from you, Janet! I just bought one of the stands for beer can chicken,
> and I'd like to try making my first, but not with beer in the can.
>
> Would you consider posting your recipe and method for beer can
> chicken?
>
> Thanks much! (just learning to grill, not planning to bbq)
>
> Desideria

If I'm not using beer, I like using lemon-lime soda, like 7-UP. I don't
think what's in the can flavors the chicken at all, but I was making it
for my grand girls who are visiting, so I used the soda. Truthfully, if
I start with half a can of liquid, at the end there is pretty much half
a can of liquid still left.

I think that most of the flavor comes from the rub that you put on the
outside of the chicken. I make one with granulated garlic, onion powder,
sweet paprika and Bell'sŪ poultry seasoning. I don't cook with salt.
I also put a small potato or onion in the hole on top of the chicken and
I tie the wings down by encircling the chicken with white cotton
trussing twine.

I stand the chicken holder in a heavy-duty foil pan so the fat doesn't
get in the grill.

I keep the temperature (as read on the lid thermometer) at about 325°
F. It seems to be the best temp for roasting the chicken. The skin gets
crisp.

I will start it off with the breast facing the side of the grill
generating the heat. Turn it after 40 minutes then turn it back after 20
minutes for the rest of the cooking time. I do use an instant read
thermometer, but you can also use the drumstick wiggle method to test
for done.

The chicken is juicy but not mushy. The skin gets nice and crispy. It
has become our family's preferred way to make a roast chicken.

Note: Bell'sŪ is not available everywhere, so here is a copy cat recipe
for it.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Bells Poultry Seasoning copykat recipe

Recipe By :