Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Freyburger Doug Freyburger is offline

Default Sugar Cured Country Ham

Pennyaline > wrote:
> Doug Freyburger wrote:
>
> > It's not as effective as those
> > other methods for longevity but it's better than just sitting
> > out in the wild raw.

> Says who? Lots of raw food exists out in the wild for years without
> going bad. Don't kill it 'til you can use it, and then use every bit of
> it. That's the secret!

Chortle! Raw beef without a fridge spoils in under a day
unless treated carefully. Cooked beef without a fridge
spoils in over a day unless treated carefully. Live beef
without a fridge does in fact last a *lot* longer. It just
gets tough and more flavorful. And potentially turns into
more cows if you're careful about stocking the fields
carefully ...

> > Canned meat? *In my desk is a can of Hormel beef marked
> > "Product of Argentina". *I keep it in case I need to work
> > through the evening. *I consider it a hard ration in the sense
> > that i'm not tempted to eat it under ordinary cirumstances
> > but I won't hestitate in an emergency ...

> I must live in an entirely different universe than yours. Where is
> working late an emergency?

If a conference call starts at 9AM and it's 2AM with no sign
the work will be completed before noon the next day and I
haven't had lunch yet not to mention dinner or any other
break but the bathroom, I'm hungry enough to eat canned
meat straight out of the can. For me such calls at work
happen about every 2 years. The jobs that pay overtime I
don't much mind them.

Note to self - This year's can doesn't have a key to open it.
Bring in a spare can opener. Canned beef lasts even longer
than beef on the hoof. Especially if I don't have a can
opener. Checking the tool pouch on my belt. Ah ha. It's
got one. At 2AM that one is plenty good enough. No need
to bring in a can opener.