BOB

Default Do rubs need salt and sugar?

Rue The Day wrote:
> It seems like the majority of rub recipes I see in BBQ books on on the
> internet have ungodly amounts of salt and sugar in them - as in a
> quarter cup of each versus teaspoon and tablespoon quantities of
> spices. I'm not a big fan of sugar in rubs because it burns. Salt, I
> like to add some but not too much or the meat comes out salty. So is
> it ok to make a rub with no sugar and only a minimal amount of salt?
> The other thing I'm not crazy about is rubs with a lot of chilli
> powder and cumin. It makes the meat taste like a bowl of chili in my
> opinion. I tend to use garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper,
> cayenne pepper, mustard powder, paprika, and sometimes celery seeds.
> Any other spices I should be looking at? Thanks.

IMO, rubs need *some* salt, or the cooked meat tastes like it is missing
*something*.

Sugar? I add it when I think it'll help the particular cook.

I don't usually add chilli (no matter how it's spelled) powder, but I will add
black pepper and sometimes cayenne to a particular rub.

Try granulated garlic instead of powder, I think you'll like the change.

When you make your own rubs, you can add or leave out anything that you feel
like, at any time.

BOB
who is sort of partial to the "Dizzy Pig" line of *commercially made* rubs
http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/