Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Peppermint Patootie Peppermint Patootie is offline

Default Pefect Prime Rib - every time

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> Nick Cramer > wrote:
> : >
> : > Same amount of time regardless of size of roast?
>
> : Time means nothing to me, Priscilla. Appearance: Nice sear? Pulling back
> : off the bone? Feel: When you pick them up by one end rib, do they
> : fold/break in the middle. Temp: Depends on what you like, eh? For me, that
> : would be 135 F internal; for others, maybe as much as 160 F. The more rare
> : you want it, the higher the cook temp. The nice thing about cooking is that
> : besides learning from your mistakes, you get to eat them (or worst case,
> : the dog does)! Keep notes.
> : Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
>
> It is just so difficult, and expensive to learn on a standing rib roast,
> partcularly if you bu a kosher one at about $18 per pound! I'd experiment
> with soe other cut, like rolled shulder( a kosher cut) or oone of the
> round or sirloin roasts(unkosher:-)

Exactly. Usually my beef is grass-fed and comes in the form of pot
roasts, steaks, ground beef, stew meat. I cannot afford over $100 for a
roast!

Today's roast is supermarket beef, so grain-fed, but it was rib roast on
sale for around $5 a pound, so I threw caution to the wind. It's in the
oven right now, and will have the heat shut off in 15 minutes to sit for
a few hours.

Priscilla