Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kris[_1_] Kris[_1_] is offline

Default Ideas for Spring/Easter salad?

On Apr 9, 3:11*pm, "Gregory Morrow" >
wrote:
> Kris wrote:
>
> On Apr 8, 11:52 pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
> wrote:
>
> > Greg wrote:
> > > I'm making a salad composed of green and white asparagus, red bell

> pepper,
> > > red onion, some grated carrot for garnish, and a vinaigrette
> > > dressing...some
> > > grated parmesan cheese to top (or you could spring for blue).

> > Kris hasn't said what else she's planning to serve. Your salad (and Mr.
> > Bill's) both sound good on their own, but if Kris is already serving
> > asparagus as a side dish, it would be overkill.

> Sorry to forget that - I'm doing ham, creamed leeks, glazed carrots
> and a potato/cream cheese/chive dish. Pear and almond tart for dessert
> (which is why i didn't want to do the pear salad).
>
> An asparagus salad does sound great, as I love asparagus.
> --------
>
> GM replies:
>
> I've got about five pounds of beautiful asaparagus tips, plus some nice big
> fat white asparagus, so much because it was on sale. *Funny thing is, I
> can't eat too much spargel because it can give me gout, lol. *So I'm making
> a big bunch of asparagus and veg salad to give away to folks, I know they'll
> love it. *As for us, we are going out for Peking duck on Sunday, sooo....
> I've got a ham and all the fixin's so I guess I'll make Easter dinner for us
> *next* Sunday...
>
> ;-)
>
> One of my fave asparagus dishes is stir - fried with some bell pepper,
> peapods, garlic, other sortsa vegetables and served with brown rice or
> noodles. *For a sauce I use soy sauce mixed with some sugar and ginger and
> sriricha and stuff, the sugar caramelizes and it's splendid, this can be
> vegan or you could add some meat to the mix...in any case top with some
> sesame seeds or add some sesame oil to flavor.
>
> --
> Best
> Greg

Lucky you! I doubt I'll get THAT much, but maybe in the near future. I
live about 1 hour south of the Asparagus growing capital here in
Michigan. Once it comes in, you can get it pretty cheap & plentiful.

Although I never considered it for stir-fry. Although I don't know
why, it sounds terrific!

Kris