Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] aem_again@yahoo.com is offline

Default REQUEST: Clay Pot Chicken

On Apr 6, 11:20*am, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
>> A regular clay pot or sand pot is just a pot, meant for slow cooking
>> or braising. *No steam chimney. *The Yunnan pot you are talking about
>> is a specialized design. *It is, as you say, meant for steaming, (and
>> soup-making) but it is not what most people mean when they say "clay
>> pot." *I'd be very surprised if the OP had a Yunnan pot. * * -aem

> I beg to differ.

The OP is probably afraid to say, not wanting to intrude into your
little war with sw.

>*I was turned on to clay pot cooking years ago when I went
> to a Chinese restauramt and we ordered "clay pot chicken" for the table.
> They brought it out in a large Yunnan pot.

Then their menu was wrong for not specifying what they meant.

>*And on many other restaurant
> menus I'd see it listed the same - clay pot chicken.

But you don't know whether they meant clay pot or Yunnan pot because
you didn't order it. You just erroneously assumed.....

> You should give it a try, the results are really declicious. *I also have
> made Yunnan beef the same way. *It comes out so incredibly tender and then
> you have this amazing broth to go with it.

No one has argued that Yunnan steam pot dishes are not delicious.
I've had them many times, though not as often as clay pot cooking,
which is very common in this house. It's just a nomenclature
argument, just trivial enough for you guys to get all exercised
about. -aem