Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Kenneth Kenneth is offline

Default Sourdough recipes that call for both starter and yeast.

On Sun, 05 Apr 2009 18:10:08 -0600, Sam
> wrote:

>> Yesterday, I put out some starter a little too late and it wasn't
>> bubbling and rising. So, when I added it to my dough, I dumped in a
>> quarter teaspoon of commercial yeast. I have to say the results were
>> pretty good. The sourdough starter still dominated the taste and I got
>> a good result without throwing out my starter.
>>

>Yes - but you did not get the benefits of sourdough fermentation.
>
>You may get taste elements - remaining fermentation products from your
>non-performing starter, and the rise from baker's yeast.

Hi Sam,

(I don't know that I have ever made such a "mixed leavening"
bread, but...)

In the situation above, why would those sourdough benefits
not be available from the finished loaf?

Thanks for your thoughts,
--
Kenneth