Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Sam Sam is offline

Default Sourdough recipes that call for both starter and yeast.

briarpatch wrote:
> Yesterday, I put out some starter a little too late and it wasn't
> bubbling and rising. So, when I added it to my dough, I dumped in a
> quarter teaspoon of commercial yeast. I have to say the results were
> pretty good. The sourdough starter still dominated the taste and I got
> a good result without throwing out my starter.

Yes - but you did not get the benefits of sourdough fermentation.

You may get taste elements - remaining fermentation products from your
non-performing starter, and the rise from baker's yeast.

Similar to "taste enhancing" products sold to allow short and
money-efficient bread productions, something like that:

http://www.uldo.de/cgi-bin/produkte/...& JOB=ARTIKEL

Sterilized dough souring product based on natural sourdough with
concentrated sourdough-specific acids etc....

And that's what this whole thread is all about.

Not being able to manage and create a well performing starter and using
bakers yeast to get a taste enhanced yeast driven bread, cake bun - or
whatever.

Sure it works - somewhat - although not the "real" thing done with full
sourdough fermentation and inherent shortcomings.

Sam