Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default I know how to deal with the expense of batteries for electric cars

> "Giusi" > wrote in message

>>> What is going to happen when all those batteries start hitting the junk
>>> yards?

>> What will be any worse than the exhaust fumes of millions of cars we have
>> now and the batteries that are in them now? Part of the design must be
>> how to recycle what's in them. Just as it should have been for all the
>> other crap we are sticking in landfills.
>> I remember seeing film of people laughing at the VW when it first hit the
>> US. People will not only buy well-designed new ideas, they'll end up
>> loving it. The US just has to get public transport back and use it.
>> Russia and China are huge, too, but they don't try to drive from one end
>> to the other in a private car.

IMO, the hybrid and electric cars are not quite proven technology. That
clean electric fuel often comes from dirty generating plants. The expensive
batteries will have to be recycled to avoid contamination from the
chemicals. Moving the greenhouse gasses from the car to a powerplant does
not solve the problems, at least not yet.

I'm sure these things are being worked on, but I want to be sure before I
invest. In my case, I tend to rotate my cars and use them for ten years or
more replacing the oldest and making the present primary the secondary.
That could mean two or more sets of expensive batteries.

As for public transportation, there is none at all where I live and work.
Part of the route used to be covered by train up to about 40 years ago. It
may improve, but will never become the main method of transportation in most
areas. It could be better in most cities though and has been making some
progress.