Posted to rec.food.cooking
Zeppo[_1_] Zeppo[_1_] is offline

Default Project use-what-we-have

> I'll put the stuff I have to buy in brackets.
>
> Tonight: Red beans and rice; salad [nothing]
> Saturday: Tuna casserole; salad [nothing]
> Sunday: Spaghetti with tomato sauce; salad [possibly salad greens or some
> vegetable to cook -- broccoli? zucchini? -- my frozen veggies are kind of
> Asian-ish, and don't really go with spaghetti.]
> Monday: Garbanzo curry with the frozen veggies and frozen peas; rice
> [nothing]
> Tuesday: Corned beef and cabbage [cabbage, potatoes]
> Wednesday: Grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup [onions/celery for
> making the soup]
> Thursday: Bean burritos [tortillas; tomatoes; onions; cilantro]

Serene,
Maybe for the next menu go-round for tuna you could do a tuna on pasta dish.
Two of my favorites follow:

TUNA, LEMON, AND CAPER SAUCE

Epicurious | May 1998 | by Joie Warner |Yield: Serves 2 to 4

1 can (6 ounces) tuna (chunk or solid in olive oil), drained

1 large garlic clove, finely chopped

grated zest of 1 medium lemon

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1/4 cup fruity olive oil

1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste

freshly ground black pepper

2 tablespoons capers, drained

1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped

freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Place tuna in pasta serving bowl and break it into large bite-size pieces.

Add garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, and capers

and stir gently to combine. Set aside to warm to room temperature,

or preferably, place the bowl (be sure it's heatproof)

over the pasta pot to warm the ingredients while heating the water.

Once the water comes to a boil, remove bowl and set aside.

Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until al dente.

Drain pasta well and immediately add to sauce in bowl.

Sprinkle with parsley and toss.

Serve at once with Parmesan cheese. Pass the pepper mill.

PASTA WITH TUNA AND OLIVES

Martha Rose Shulman | Yield: Serves four

1 6 1/2-ounce can water-packed light (not albacore) tuna, drained

1 to 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (to taste)

1 garlic clove, minced

1 cup fresh tomato sauce or a good prepared marinara sauce

2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley or slivered fresh basil

Salt and freshly ground pepper

1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (optional)

1/2 cup pitted imported black olives, such as kalamatas, cut in half

3/4 pound fusilli, penne, farfalle or spaghetti

Freshly grated Parmesan for serving (optional)

Begin heating a large pot of water for the pasta.

In a large pasta bowl, break up the tuna.

Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat, and add garlic.

Cook, stirring, just until fragrant, and remove from the heat.

Add to the tuna, the parsley or basil, and mix together.

Add the tomato sauce to the pan and heat through.

Add the red pepper flakes if using.

Stir in the olives.

When the water for the pasta comes to a boil, add a generous tablespoon of
salt and the pasta.

Cook al dente, until firm to the bite, following the cooking instructions on
the

package but checking the pasta a minute or two before the indicated time.

Remove two tablespoons of the cooking water, and mix with the tuna.

When the pasta is al dente, drain and transfer to the bowl with the tuna.

Add the tomato sauce with the olives, toss everything together, and serve.

Pass the Parmesan at the table.

I have a few others I really like as well. Let me know and I can post.

Jon