Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Mike Romain[_2_] Mike Romain[_2_] is offline

Default Sourdough recipes that call for both starter and yeast.

I see lots of recipes that call for a 'souring' of the first flour and
water mix for 'flavor', then you add commercial yeast for the rise.

There is a pro baker on this group and he confirmed that the bakeries
commonly use a small percent of commercial yeast in their product
because it controls rise times better or makes them a bit faster no
matter what 'mood' the sourdough critters are in that day.

I have tried both ways in the past and still make a 'hybrid' loaf with a
small amount of commercial yeast added now and then. Well, my 'market'
or family ask for it now and then. I find my hybrid loaf is very close
to what the grocery stores sell for 'sourdough' in taste and texture.

Mike
Some bread photos: http://www.mikeromain.shutterfly.com