Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Paul E. Lehmann[_7_] Paul E. Lehmann[_7_] is offline

Default pH level

wrote:

> On Mar 28, 6:59Â*am, "Lou" > wrote:
>> I just realized that a wine I, and moreso my girlfriend, are enjoying has
>> a pH of 3.92 !!

> That does seem a bit high, but not out of reason. Many commercial reds
> are in the neighborhood of 3.8. Remember though that there are a bunch
> of factors that play into the overall "impression" that a wine makes
> and how well that wine is preserved. If you may find that your home
> made wines, left with a higher than average pH, will be out of balance
> or won't keep well in the cellar.
>
> Greg G.

It would be interesting to know if the commercial high pH wines (above 3.5)
are sterile filtered prior to bottling and to know the free SO2 levels at
bottling. My home made wines have not had much of a shelf life at high pH
values - less than a year. Of course, I did not sterile filter either.