Posted to rec.food.cooking
elaich elaich is offline

Default Difference between marinara & pasta sauce?

FERRANTE > wrote in
:

> Anyone have a good recipe for a simple marinara sauce, please?

Marinara is not so much a sauce as it is a concept. I make this very simple
one, and it is delicious.

1 can diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 or 4 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
Salt, pepper and Italian seasoning to taste

Use a blunt object to crush the tomato cubes. Combine in a saucepan and
simmer until most of the liquid is cooked out. Use it liberally on your
favorite pasta, topped with Parmesan cheese.

As it's name implies, marinara is based on the simple sauce Roman fishermen
used on their pasta after a hard day pulling up the nets. Very quick and
easy, it can be cooked nearly as fast as the pasta. We can assume they
added some of the day's catch, so any kind of meat you want to add is fine.
I like some canned tuna in mine. Some might find that odd, but it's
delicious.

Many of us who are older know of the horrible heartburn and acid reflux
that long simmered tomato based sauces can induce. I am happy to say that
marinara has no such result. It is the long cooking of the tomato that
converts it into a powerful acid. Tomatoes are not acidic by nature.