Posted to rec.food.cooking
Omelet[_7_] Omelet[_7_] is offline

Default Difference between marinara & pasta sauce?

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 11:44:04 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >I prefer mexican oregano to the other types as it tends to be milder and
> >less "soapy". Plus I have a rather large bush of it out in the herb
> >garden. :-) Lovely plant! It was in a 4" pot about 7 or 8 years ago
> >and is now 3 feet tall. Blooms lovely little lavender colored blooms
> >all summer so makes a nice landscaping plant too.
> >
> >The blooms are just as fragrant as the leaves so are useful for cooking.

> Right now, I don't know what I plant... but oregano has never grown
> into a real bush for me. If it did, I might even use more fresh. As
> it is now, the stakes always seem to disappear on me and I forget
> which low plant is which. Marjoram, thyme, oregano? Which one is it?

Thyme and oregano are both low growing "ground cover" type plants. I've
not grown marjoram, just used dried, so I'm not sure about that one.

The oregano that grew into a bush for me is an unusual plant. Mexican
oregano:

http://i24.tinypic.com/24feg44.jpg

There seems to be a discrepancy when I did a search for Mexican Oregano.
While it was sold to me as such, it might be Mexican sage.

To me, the flavor and scent is similar to Marjoram and the leaves are so
tiny, they don't need mincing.

I do know it's delicious. :-d
--
Peace! Om