Posted to rec.food.cooking
Omelet[_7_] Omelet[_7_] is offline

Default Difference between marinara & pasta sauce?

In article >,
Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 20:58:07 -0500, FERRANTE
> > wrote:
>
> >I prefer jarred pasta sauces even though I know homemade would be
> >better. I usually stuck with Barilla or Classico as I hate Ragu' and
> >Prego. Now I see that supermarkets are carrying pasta sauces in foil
> >pouches in the freezer section. Just heat up and pour over your
> >favorite pasta. I may try that soon.

> I feel the same about Ragu and Prego. Barilla is my convenience
> spaghetti sauce of choice. Finances usually dictate using Hunt's
> canned sauces. Cheap, and definitely better than those other two.
>
> >I think I will try the Harry's Tomato Sauce recipe that was included
> >in this thread.

> You won't be sorry you did. It is wonderful stuff!
>
> Carol

Heh! Hunts canned is a decent and inexpensive sauce with a bit of
"herbing up" imho. My favorite stand alone marinara sauce tho' is
Buitoni. It's found in the refrigerated section and imho it really is
quite good and needs no help.

Generally tho', I just use cans of tomato paste and start with onions in
the pan with olive oil until they begin to get clear, add pressed garlic
and fresh or dried "italian" herbs (basil, thyme, marjoram, mexican
oregano, black pepper and some dried lemon peel) and go from there. I
may also brown some italian sausage all crushed up with the onions as
the base.

I prefer mexican oregano to the other types as it tends to be milder and
less "soapy". Plus I have a rather large bush of it out in the herb
garden. :-) Lovely plant! It was in a 4" pot about 7 or 8 years ago
and is now 3 feet tall. Blooms lovely little lavender colored blooms
all summer so makes a nice landscaping plant too.

The blooms are just as fragrant as the leaves so are useful for cooking.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.