Posted to alt.food.wine
Ronin[_32_] Ronin[_32_] is offline

Default Fermented Fuit Juice -- How to turn it into alcohol?

On 2009-03-19 08:56:51 -0700, "Nils Gustaf Lindgren"
> said:

> I do believe som producers try to "recycle" the yeast by spreading lees in
> the vineyard ... not a terribly good idea as it may enhance bacteria rather
> than the "natural" yeasts. What about bajanus in Veneto, then, do you mean
> that the reservoir is in the cellars rather than in the vineyards? It would
> fit neatly with what I heard about a cheese factory - to get the cheese to
> mature as they wanted, the old cheese cellar master had to pass through the
> cellars, wearing, and this was important, his old cap ... which apparently
> was supposed to contain the ferments needed for the proper maturation of the
> cheeses. If it is not true, it is still a fairly good story.
>
> Cheers
>
> Nils

I've often used "champagne yeast" from my friendly neighborhood wine
and beer making supplies store with a fermentation lock (from the same
source) on top in the original gallon bottle. Then, as apple cider
time comes conveniently at the time of first frosts, after I fermented
a couple of gallons, I put them in a bucket (clean) lightly covered out
on the back porch. In the morning, take off the ice and toss. Do that
a couple of days and the alcohol content rises to the point where it
will preserve itself. Makes a delicious drink, and great addition for
cooking, like a chicken liver pate and so on...

Jim