Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Default Gourmet's list of 20 inventions that changed cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> "Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > sf > wrote:
> >
> >> On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 20:45:56 -0600, Christine Dabney

> >> That "chimney" idea didn't spring up out of thin air. My grandfather
> >> used coffee cans and he put holes around the bottom with a church key.
> >> It wasn't his idea (as far as I know) was courtesy of Grandma, who was
> >> a County Extension Agent in Michigan back in the day ('50s-60's)
> >> before she retired and they moved to join us in sunny Calif. Grandpa
> >> didn't drink coffee or beer, so you know he was an advocate of those
> >> chimneys because he had to get can donations from his friends.

> > Big juice cans worked fine also. I don't remember what we used 50 years
> > ago. Cut off the top and bottom, add holes with the church key. Add
> > crumpled newspaper and briquets. Light with a match through the holes.
> > Use a pair of offset pliers to lift the can off when the coals were
> > ready.
> >
> > --
> > Dan Abel
> > Petaluma, California USA
> >

> Too bad coffee and juice doesn't come in cans anymore. Plastic is all I can
> find. Those cans certainly did the trick for charcoal briquettes, didn't
> they
>
> Jill

I recently purchased ground coffee in a 48 oz. aluminum can. The empty
cans come in handy for many things besides a charcoal chimney. V8 juice
is also available in small individual cans as are other sorts of juices
and teas.

Sky

P.S. I'm not a coffee connoisseur so nearly any brand works well to
make mocha

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice