Posted to rec.food.cooking
theron theron is offline

Default COVER corned beef brisket with water?

"FERRANTE" > wrote in message
>I am going to start cooking my two corned beef briskets tonight in my
> new crock pot and I have a question: should I cover the briskets with
> water and not use that much? I was thinking that since it would be
> slow cooking all night that the steam (heat) would cook them
> thoroughly without needing so much water, but I am not sure. That is
> where you seasoned cooks come in.
>
> How much water is needed?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

I've been wondering about baking, or steaming a mildly cured bottom round.
If you seared the brisket first[I recommend regardless of what you do], and
used a small amount of water, you'd be steaming. You could raise the brisket
slightly off the bottom. I'd cover tightly.

I just thought. If you did this and the end result was too much salt and/or
"too tough" you could just continue on and braise in the usual fashion.
The best St. Patrick's day to you,
Ed