Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mark Thorson Mark Thorson is offline

Default Gourmet's list of 20 inventions that changed cooking (long response)

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> 2. Air conditioning... Because my dad was an HVAC engineer, I never lived
> in a home that didn't have air conditioning.
>
> 8. Dishwashers... An absolute essential in my kitchen. I would most
> likely cook infrequently if I had to clean up after myself. I grew up
> with one in every house we lived in, and it was my first purchase in the
> first apartment I rented that didn't have one. I know dishwashers are
> subjective, though, as many proclaim to enjoy washing dishes by hand.

Geez Louise! You grew up like Richie Rich or
George W. Bush! Probably don't even know what
shit smells like because always had servants to
.. . . I'll let Sheldon finish that sentence.

Do you even know what a bread crust is? Or were
they all sliced off your sandwiches before you
ever saw them? Diary entry -- "Found seed in
orange juice, had cook flogged."

ENJOY WASHING DISHES ??? Seen it in paintings,
have you, Richie? Happy peasants washing dishes?
If I were a painter, I'd paint pictures of
happy peasants cleaning cat litter boxes.
And I'd sell them to the ruling class, who would
assume they reflected an underlying reality
that supported their imagination of the natural
order of things. I bet they'd sell pretty well,
too. Especially in Texas. And other places
where they use air conditioning and Mexicans.
Happy Mexicans.